SWG3: The Bz Challenge
To overcome roadblocks in the path to full capability for predicting Bz and other solar-wind properties at the Earth
- Predict strength and direction of IMF, solar wind velocity and density, and transient arrival time at L1
- Characterize evolution and quantify properties of transients (CMEs/CIRs) propagating through the solar wind
- Quantify velocity, magnetic field and plasma properties of dynamic coronal structures
- Quantify global coronal magnetic field and predict likelihood of eruptions and/or sector structure affecting the Earth
- Determine accuracy and characteristics of solar wind and IMF needed for useful prediction at Earth, and implications back down the chain to the Sun.
Observations of a pseudostreamer