McA Digitization Method and Dataset Use
The processing of the McA maps consists of the following steps:
- Graphic processing software (Adobe Photoshop) is used with IDL codes to center, rotate (if necessary), and standardize the map size in width (heliolongitude) and height (heliolatitude).
- The programs are then used to remove any unnecessary notes, marks, or symbols, and to colorize the maps, with a specific color representing each type of feature.
- These processed maps are converted to FITS format as 2-D images, which reproduce color-coded solar features for each rotation and from which custom GIF images can be created using an IDL code, plotfinal.pro.
- The metadata spreadsheet is updated as each new digitized map is completed.
- The final archive, consisting of the FITS and GIF files for each CR map and the metadata spreadsheet, is made publically available.